Monday, March 2, 2015

March 2015

 
The month is used to reflect on the many different roles women have taken throughout history. It began under Jimmy Carter as Women’s History Week and later expanded to the entire month - See more at: http://www.historynet.com/famous-women-in-history#sthash.zss5rFQq.dpuf
           Benedict College Commemorates Women’s History Month

****************************

BC's 2015 Women's History Quilting Workshop










******************************


                                           




 
 The Library display presents nine (9) women from diverse backgrounds who are leading the way with significant contributions to society. In addition, it recognizes numerous notable Black American women who have woven and are weaving stories into the fabric of our history.  When thinking about weaving the stories of women’s lives and Black heritage the arts and crafts of quilting and sweet grass basket sewing quickly comes to mind.  Most quilt patterns had their roots in the African traditions the slaves brought with them to North America. Sweet basket making has been part of South Carolina’s Charleston and Mt. Pleasant communities for more than 300 years. The photos above depict a quilt with the North Star pattern. It was hand made by Mrs. Katie Brown Dentley the grandmother of Mrs. Bridget V. Sledge. The basket was purchased from the Charleston City Market by Mrs. Sledge.


2015 is also the 35th Anniversary of the Women’s History Movement and the National Women’s History Project.



            Quotes from Famous Women:

  "A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for. Sail out to sea and    do new things."
                                   Marion Wright Elderman
  
 "If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain."                                                                       Dolly Parton


"Sometimes questions are more important than answers."
                                      Nancy Willard

"Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get."                                                       Ingrid Bergman



"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."                                                                                                  Anna Quindlen


                             
Women of .....
Today.....YESTERDAY.....TOMORROW 


 









Phenomenal  Woman by Maya Angelou


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.


Who is your PHENOMENAL WOMAN?
 Powerful shoes for PHENOMENAL WOMEN!         

                 "A shoe has so much more to offer than just to walk."   
      
Christian Louboutin

Facts About Women

Do You Know That ... 

Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women.

Instead of chest pains, heart attacks in women have nausea, indigestion, and shoulder aches.
 

There are roughly four million more women than men in the U.S.

More American women work in the education, health services, and social assistance industries than in any other industry.

Women were first allowed to participate at the Olympic Games in 1900. 


 Women gained the right to vote in America in 1920.


Library Resources:
  
  • Furchtgott-Roth, Diana. Women's figures : an illustrated guide to the economic progress of women in America.
  • Greenspan, Karen. The timetables of women's history : a chronology of the most important people and events in women's history.
  • Pauly, Thomas H. Game faces : five early American champions and the sports they changed.
  • Rappaport, Helen. Encyclopedia of women social reformers [electronic resource].
  • Ware, Susan. Notable American women [electronic resource] : a biographical dictionary completing the twentieth century.
Featured Database

 

                           Social Work Abstract Plus

Records  span from 1968 to the present, from social work and other related journals; includes the NASW Clinical Register.  Usernames and Passwords can be obtained from the Library's  Information Desk.




                       
                              Literacy, eBooks and Database Workshops




                                          

                                              


Continue doing whatever it takes to make you an AWESOME TIGER! 
So much to research.  So much to read and see!!  

                              REACH  For Your BC Library in 2015!!

No comments: