Future BC Tigers!!
Go BC Tigers!!October 17 - 23
Congratulations Ms. Louise Smith (M.M.M. Librarian) on being inducted into Benedict College's 2016
Athletic Hall of Fame for Outstanding Track Performances!
Fast Facts About Breast Cancer
- Each year in the United States, more than 200,000 women get breast cancer and more than 40,000 women die from the disease.
- Men also get breast cancer, but it is not very common. Less than 1% of breast cancers occur in men.
- Most breast cancers are found in women who are 50 years old or older, but breast cancer also affects younger women. About 11% of all new cases of breast cancer in the United States are found in women younger than 45 years of age.
Book of the Month
Taking Charge of Breast Cancer by Julia A. Ericksen
Vividly showcasing diverse voices and experiences, this book illuminates an all-too-common experience by exploring how women respond to a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing from interviews in which women describe their journeys from diagnosis through treatment and recovery, Julia A. Ericksen explores topics ranging from women's trust in their doctors to their feelings about appearance and sexuality. She includes the experiences of women who do not put their faith in traditional medicine as well as those who do, and she takes a look at the long-term consequences of this disease. What emerges from her powerful and often moving account is a compelling picture of how cultural messages about breast cancer shape women's ideas about their illness, how breast cancer affects their relationships with friends and family, why some of them become activists, and more. Ericksen, herself a breast cancer survivor, has written an accessible book that reveals much about the ways in which we narrate our illnesses and about how these narratives shape the paths we travel once diagnosed.
Click here for a list of tips on breast cancer prevention.
Breast Cancer eBooks
Hot Topics From NewsBank (Access World News)
- BUSINESS: Yahoo Hacked Topic: Computer hackers have successfully stolen confidential data from over 500 million Yahoo Inc. personal accounts. What kind of personal data was on those accounts and how can this theft put the owners of these Yahoo accounts at risk? What kind of protections do companies like Yahoo provide for their customers and what are some of the technical processes that hackers use to gain access?
- CRIME AND LAW: Baltimore Police Investigation Topic: As the Justice Department released a critical report regarding the Baltimore police department's use racial discrimination and excessive violence, the findings also pointed to their unlawful mistreatment of the mentally ill. In many cases, the victims' civil rights were violated according to the Americans with Disability Act. How do the findings of this report compare to the recent findings of investigations into other police departments' use of excessive force? How does a pattern of behavior become defined as systemic? When a problematic pattern reaches a systemic level what types of interventions are effective in making change?
Search Terms: Baltimore AND police AND report
- SOCIAL ISSUES: Burkinis Topic: France has attempted to ban so-called Burkinis from public beaches. Burkinis are full body swimsuits that also have a headpiece and were designed to allow Muslim women to swim in public. Why did some French cities ban them? What did the highest court in France say when overturning the bans? How have they become a political issue? Search Terms: France AND Burkinis AND bans
CIVICS, GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS: Presidential Debate
Topic: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have held their first debate. What were some of the key policy points debated and what are the differences between the two candidates in those debates? On each of those policy points, which candidate seemed to have the better policy and why? What are the similarities and differences between the mainstream media and social media when it comes to which the aspects of the debate are discussed the most?
Search Terms: Hillary Clinton AND Donald Trump AND debate
Continue Doing Whatever It Takes to be An Awesome Tiger!
"BC Library is Accessible for Academic Success 24/7"